A Brief History
by Sandy Haynes, Estate Archivist
Enville is the home of the Grey family who originated in Leicestershire and built Bradgate Park, once the home of Lady Jane Grey. A minor branch of the family moved to Staffordshire in the late 15th century and acquired through marriage the manor of Enville. Thomas Grey built a new red brick house with turrets and crow-stepped gables beside a deer park in the 1530s. The Leicestershire branch survived in spite of the setback when a large number of the family were executed in the early part of 16th century. In 1620 the 2nd Baron Grey of Groby married Anne Cecil, the youngest daughter and co-heir of William Cecil, 3rd Earl of Exeter. Through his wife, Henry inherited the castle, borough and manor of Stamford and in 1628 was created Earl of Stamford. The title was at first held by the Bradgate branch until the death of the 2nd Earl when it descended to his cousin Harry who lived at Enville. His son, also Harry, who became the 4th Earl decided to make Enville his main home. The Bradgate house was bricked up and the park there kept for hunting and game.
Around 1772 the 5th Earl of Stamford commissioned William Chambers, the architect of Somerset House, to design a new Palladian house for Enville. This plan were never implemented and instead the existing house was modified and extended a year later by the Liverpool architect John Hope.
Boating was a popular entertainment in many English landscape parks during the 18th century. Enville’s Temple Pool was equipped with an ornate Boathouse attributed to the architect Sanderson Miller and shown here on the right.
The Sea Horse pool was at the centre of the pleasure gardens laid out in the 1850s by the 7th Earl of Stamford. 16 jets each 40 feet high surrounded a central jet that towered to 70 feet. Although outrageous claims made by a correspondent to the Wolverhampton Chronicle in 1854 suggested 190 feet had already been achieved and 240 feet was the target.
The Conservatory was designed and built by Gray and Ormson of Chelsea using a cast iron skeleton, wrought iron ribs and wooden sash windows. This kit of parts was delivered by barge to Stewponey Wharf in 1854 from where it was transported to the Hall by horse and cart. Its Moorish domes towered to some 60 feet.
In the late 18th century the family concentrated their activities on managing their various estates. Gardening remained a key interest, particularly growing exotic fruits such as melons and pineapples and collecting orchids. The Enville variety of pineapple was well known and grown throughout the country.
When George Harry, the 7th Earl, inherited the estate in 1845 he was only 18. For the next three years the estate was administered by guardians and trustees during which time he seems to have been planning a great new garden with all the latest technological features of fountains, conservatories and hot houses. Luckily he chose to develop this new garden away from the one laid out in the 18th century. Enville was at the forefront of Victorian gardening which was maintained by a permanent garden workforce of 35 gardeners. Throughout the summer months from 1854 onwards about 6000 people visited Enville every week to see the new gardens and this necessitated building a hotel and extensive stabling in the village to accommodate all the tourists. After the Earl died in 1883 his widow carried on, but after a period of vandalism in the gardens they were shut in 1892 never to reopen on a regular basis.
There is no dedication or inscription. Instead this urn catches the sun beautifully fulfilling its role as an eye-catcher enticing visitors to explore the park and take in the view over the Temple Pool and the Hall. In the 1750s it was originally intended to erect an obelisk on this spot.
The church at Enville.
Hidden among yews the Chapel was built around 1753. Never consecrated, it was a venue for picnics rather than religious services. In 1763 it was named for William Shenstone of The Leasowes whose garden at nearby Hailsowen was developed in parallel with Enville’s park.
In 1904 there was a fire at the Hall and the Countess died childless the following year. The three estates in Leicestershire, Staffordshire and Cheshire were divided between three relatives and the title died out with the 10th Earl of Stamford and Warrington in 1976. Bradgate, the Leicestershire estate is now a country park, Dunham Massey in Cheshire is owned by the National Trust and Enville Hall remains as a private family house.
Have a look at the Estate Archives.